What do the angles do and what I can and can not do according to the word of God
Through out my life I have often heard the phrase. ” I station the angles around me to guard and protect me in all my ways” This was something I always just understood and “assumed” it was backed up in the bible. As I have learned over the years and especially recently NEVER assume anything always verify for yourself anything you bring into practice. Acting on wrong information can very well be fruitless and at its worst bring a curse into your life.
To start let’s go over what are angles. The word angles or angel appear 350 times in the bible. With all the references to angel or angels we are able to define some attributes about angels. For one angels are just a sub-order or a type. By using the principle of first mention we can get the base definition of the word angel. First mention is in Genesis 16:7 and uses the Hebrew word: mal’âk or the greek angelos which you can look up in the strongs dictionary under H4397.
Gen_16:7 And the angel(H4397) of the LORD found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur. (KJV)
H4397 (Greek from the LXX Septuagint) has the definition of
From an unused root meaning to despatch as a deputy; a messenger; specifically of God, that is, an angel (also a prophet, priest or teacher): – ambassador, angel, king, messenger.
Essentially it means an ambassador of God, or one sent by God. A messenger. This distribute’s wisdom, a prophetic word, to minister, or to teach. There are other spiritual beings as well that fit outside the definition such as the Elohim. However, I go into these at this time. That is a study for another day.
So what are the attributes?
- They are obedient to the Lord God and do not hesitate to act on His commands.
- They are Holy being.
- They are created beings. Created by God YHVH.
- They are reverent, continuously worshiping and praising God.
- They can communicate to anyone in any language.
- They are intelligent. (2 Sam 14:20)
- They have limited knowledge. They are not all Knowing like God is. (Luke 1:13-17, Mark 13:32)
- They know right from wrong.
- Some Angels rebelled against God and became angels of satan.
- They are mightier than humans. (Rev 17:1, Matt 28:2, 2 Peter 2:11)
- They lack several of Gods attributes. God is All knowing, All Powerful, and omnipresent. Angels are not.
- Angels have limited power. See Jude 9.
- Angles can only be in one place at one time.
- They are humble and only seek glory for God.
- They are sinless. (with obvious exception to the fallen)
- They are immortal. (Luke 20:36)
- They are innumerable. (Hebrews 12:22, Revelation 5:11)
- They are Male. (likely gender less but often described with Male pronouns.) The only exception. (Zechariah 5:9)
- They are organized. Archangels, principalities and rulers, the counsel (This again jumps outside the subset though)
- Not worthy of worship. They should never be prayed to, commanded, or idolized.(Rev 19:10)
Where does the idea of Christians station or giving charge over angels come from?
While I was not able to pin point one specific event, group, or people who started this idea. I was able to find it is very much a 21st century idea. This fall’s into place with the name and claim it crowd. The multiple paths to God crowds and the like. In the end this is a doctrine of devils and it has crept its way into the church over many years. We should always be reading the word of God and putting that word in our hearts. By putting the word in our hearts and meditating on it (not like yoga meditation, this meditation means to study, research, pray, ask questions, etc.) we will know the truth and the truth will set us free from the deception that comes into our lives, into our families and into our churches. Another connection was from the verse: Psalms 91:11-12 talking about God giving charge (stationing) his angels over us. This was taken out of context and turned to We station the angels when it is God who stations the angels over us instead.
What are some dos and do not’s?
DO NOT worship angels. We are to Worship the one true God YHVH. the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
DO NOT pray to angels. We are to Pray to God alone. Jesus died so we could have that fellowship again. Make your request known to God alone.
DO NOT command the angels. God and God alone has authority to command the angels.
DO ask God for protection. in Psalms 91:11-12 it says
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
DO ask God for Wisdom and knowledge. In Hebrews 1:14 it says
Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?
So can we station and give charge over the angels?
The answer to this is a resounding NO! We can not. No where in the bible does it state that we have any authority over the angels. No how, no way! While this could be devastating news as I know many a spiritual warrior has this in the basket of tools to fight the devil. However, there is good news.
We have the full Armour of God.
God has equipped us for battle to fight principalities, powers, evil rulers of darkness in high places. It says we wrestle not with flesh and blood. We should always be taking the fight to the devil/devils not to flesh and blood. Instead we are praying and loving our fellow brothers and sisters. pray for our enemies, Forgive those who wrong us. We smash, rebuke, bind, cage, chain and otherwise come against the spirits of darkness. The Armour is part of our protection. God has charge over the angels and knows are needs and we can ask God not us to dispatch those angels to aid us.
God gives charge to the angels!
I know it has been mentioned several times already but this is a powerful verse. it is a verse of comfort. for he (That is GOD) gives HIS angels charge over me (That is you too). I highly recommend you read the entire chapter of Psalms 91 so you can absorb the entire context of what is being said here. Understanding this will change your life. You do not have to command the angels God has already given charge of the angels over you. God has your back. Now the real question is how do you deal with sin. How do you close open doors to the enemy so you are not getting attacked non stop? That is another day and another article.
God has your back, God is watching over you!
In the end God has your back in every way. This does not give you a free licence to sin and do what you want. NO! It does mean he will watch over and protect you in all your ways. Will there be times of challenge? yes there will. Will the enemy still attack your mind, your body, or maybe your friends and family? Yes because of sin there will be challenge in our lives. I would encourage everyone to study on deliverance, and sanctification. Often the things that go on in our lives are a result of sin. More often it is unrepentant sin. This gives and opening to the enemy into our lives and if we do not close those doors after a time and a season the enemy will walk through to steal, kill and destroy. much like a seed that is planted. if that seed is sin and you let it grow it will grow into a weed and destroy. best to repent and dig up that seed before it has a chance to grow.
If you were like me and was using this a few things that you need to do are.
- Ask forgiveness for the sin of idolatry.
- Repent. Turn from that sin and sin no more.
- break the curse that comes from witchcraft and idolatry.
- Learn the correct method according to God’s word. Ask God for help and he will provide. find it in the word of God
- Be humble and admit you were wrong. Make the change and move forward. This will not be the first time.
- Share with others so they do not make the same mistakes.
Feel free to leave me a comment on facebook.
Additional references and points of study:
- Rev 22:9
- Romans 1:25
- Psalms 91:11
- Daniel 6:22
- Luke 16:22
- Luke 22:43
- Mathew 4:11
- Mathew 26:53
- Hebrews 1:14
- Mathew 18:10
- James 1:5
Notes taken for this study:
- Angels are NEVER to be worshiped. This is treating them as an idol. This WILL bring a curse.
- Angels are NEVER to be prayed to. See above statement
- There should be no communication to the angels such as prayer, questions, inquires. these things should be brought to God alone.
- We should ask God for wisdom not angels. Angels may minister to us but that is at the command of God.
- Angels do guard Christians and Children. no mention of guardian angels are mentioned however. It is implied by the scripture though.
- Jesus stated he could call down angels. Though it did not state the process.
- It is ALWAYS about the message not the messenger.
- God directs the angels we do not. We do not have the authority to tell the angels to do anything. Only God. Instead ask God. Chain of authority.
- Angels are created just like us. Thus why they should not be worshiped.
- Even the Elohim are created. there is only one God above all other Gods.